Sunday, November 21, 2010

You Never Know

It rained this weekend but I got all my training in and then some. There's no rest for the wicked.

Training:
Saturday - 16 mile run w/last 6 miles at marathon pace (10:10)
10 mile spin on my commuter bike
Sunday - 5 mile run
10 mile spin in the morning/15 miles in the afternoon

I've been doing a lot of reading about running lately. I just finished Why We Run by Bernd Heinrich and I'm currently reading Running Through The Wall: Personal Encounters With The Ultramarathon by Neal Jamison and Run: The Mind-Body Methond of Running by Feel by Matt Fitzgerald. They've got me thinking that I've been putting limiters on what I'm capable of and I need to become more of a dreamer.

I've been thinking of myself as a slow runner, a Penguin. But can I get fast? What, if any, are my limiters?

I ran a 5:12 for my 1st marathon. But I my calves cramped at mile 18 and I did a lot of walking after that so I didn't consider it a true marathon run.

I ran a 4:40 for my 2nd marathon. No cramping this time. Woo! But I bonked at mile 24 for two reasons - nutrition (not enough calories in) and starting my final 10K kick too early (mile 18ish). The run was going so well that I thought I had enough in me to push the last 8 miles but I miscalculated. So I was happy that I PR'd by 32 minutes but still not satisfied that I got it right.

My next marathon is in February - The Lost Dutchman. I'm going to go for a 10:10 pace for this one so it should be a 4:25 finish. Am I ready for that? I think I will be. My training seems to indicate it and I think I can do it. No, I know I can do it.

But here's the thing. Now I'm thinking that I have a 4 hr marathon in me. And I'm thinking I just may go for that for the Seattle Rock & Roll in June. You never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment