Thursday, July 19, 2012

Is This The Right Mountain


Shadows of the mountain,
don't tell them what's in store.
The height and the breadth,
is it wrong to want more?
IS THIS THE RIGHT MOUNTAIN
FOR US TO CLIMB?
IS THIS THE WAY TO LIVE
FOR YOU TO BE MINE?

This is one of my favorite songs right now. I associate it with Javelina Jundred and my training for it. When I go out for a run, I am wondering if it will help me finish Javelina Jundred. Am I doing what I need to be doing, both running and mentally, to prepare for JJ100? I guess I won't know until I get there, right?

This week's training has been pretty good so far despite my Tuesday 12 miler getting shrunk to a 10 miler thanks to my stupid wishy-washy stomach. I was sick most of Tuesday which was not fun! But thankfully, I felt fine on Wednesday and was able to get in a kick ass tempo run and a fun lunch run in the 90s. My plan called for 12 on Tues and 10 on Thurs so I just switched those runs and the 12 went pretty well today. I was a little tired. I also hedged my bets by not eating anything before the run and that probably contributed to the tiredness at the end of the run but I felt it was better to get it in than not.This weekend I have a 24 miler/10 miler planned and then I'll do a short taper for the ET Full Moon Midnight 51K. 

On my runs this past week, I've been inspired to get out the door and get them done by the runners at the Last Annual Vol State 500K. I was doing the live blogs for Run It Fast each day and getting updates from Joshua (@bayou) and it was amazing to watch it unfold. The runners battled rain and heat and freak lightning and kept going for 314 miles. Some of them are still going! It made it really hard to complain about running a measly 10 or 20 miles.

I thought about those runners a lot on my runs and wondered what made them decide to do it and what made/makes them keep going. It kind of planted the idea in my head about running it next year. I must be totally losing it if I'm thinking it's not a crazy idea! But then both Josh and Naresh (@iamarunr) told me they thought I could do it. Naresh said he thought I was "mentally very strong". I didn't ask Josh why he thought I could do it. I told Naresh that I felt I hadn't tested myself mentally yet. What would I do when the going got really rough? Would I keep going? I'm really curious about that. I can't wait to find out the answer but also a little nervous I might not like what I find out about myself. Ya know? I THINK I'm Wonder Woman but I could be fooling myself. How disappointing that would be. 

So, I think my first test will be Javelina Jundred. I don't know if it's too soon to try a 100 miler but I'm going for it. Like the lyrics above...is it wrong to want more? I want more! I want to test myself and see what happens. I want adventure. I want it ALL!

One more thing. Cassie B (@CEB82) mentioned me in her blog today and it made me smile and made me think I could be Wonder Woman...someday. I just need some kickass red boots to run in! I wonder if I could talk @AltraZeroDrop into making a pair of Delilahs like that? It could happen! :) But seriously...keep running and posting it on Twitter or Facebook or Daily Mile because you never know who you could be inspiring!

Anyone racing this weekend? I wish I was. Have a great weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment