Saturday, January 8, 2011

I Run Because

There are as many reasons for running as there are days in the year, years in my life. But mostly I run because I am an animal and a child, an artist and a saint. So, too, are you.~George Sheehan

I talk to the LBS boys about running quite a bit. They aren't runners, though I'm trying to encourage Mark to be one, so they don't really get why I run. They can go long on the bike but can't imagine going long on a run. I don't really see a difference in the two. They are both about being outside, seeing places, pushing your body, etc.

When I tried to explain it to them, I told them this:

"When I ride my commuter bike, I feel fun & flirty. When I ride my mountain bike, I feel adventurous and strong. And when I ride my rode bike, I feel sleek and sexy. And when I run...I feel all of that!"

And that's pretty much how I felt on today's long run.

The week started off a little slow. I wasn't feeling the workouts and felt a little sluggish. I checked in on my calorie intake and realized I needed to up that which I did starting on Tuesday and after that I felt much better. Thursday's tempo run was awesome. I felt strong and fast and it just clicked. I finished feeling really good, like I could have done a couple more miles.

Today's long run was just as good. I ran my regular route which has a few hills and since it's out and back, I hit each of them a couple of times. I think my legs like having hills more than flat routes. I tried to hold back but I think "easy" is getting faster for me and I just went with the flow and let my legs do the "talking".

Anyway, I had fun because the route is also a popular cycling route and I saw the LBS boys a few times which is always good for a shot of adrenaline. The adventure part comes in to play because I get a kick out of traveling through towns and checking out the sights. And I felt sleek & sexy & flirty in my runningskirt skirt. And of course I felt strong today, really strong. I found myself smiling a lot while running today because I was so enjoying the feeling of moving. I may have even leaped a time or two. So I was happy and definitely satisfied with the way the run turned out. I should smile more when I'm running.

So, why do I run? I run because it makes me feel like Wonder Woman. Now if I could just get a hold of her golden lasso...

No comments:

Post a Comment