Thursday, June 9, 2011

Silver Lining

I haven't run in a week now. I am a little cranky and a little nervous. It could be worse, of course. I can still ride so that's keeping me sane. I've been getting extra sleep since I don't have to get up so early to run. And best of all...I'm still eating properly!

In the past, when I was overwhelmed by my feelings, the first thing I would turn to was comfort food - donuts, cookies, candy, pizza, cheeseburgers, etc. All the stuff that is bad for you. I'd eat until I was way past full and then end up feeling worse than before. Which meant I'd reach for more food. It was vicious cycle and it's why I gained so much weight.

Running, more than riding, helped me control my eating. It's much, much harder to run after a bad meal than it is to ride. You can get away with it on the bike. It ain't pretty but it's not going to cause a problem. Usually. The thing about running for me is that my stomach does not like to have food in it when I run. It sorta makes it way out pretty fast if I've had any. For me, nutrition is one of the more frustrating aspects of getting the long run nailed down. But the benefit is that I'm always thinking about what my next run is going to be and do I want it to be hard or easy on my stomach. So I choose the sensible meal and watch my calories. Both to make sure I get enough and to make sure I don't eat too much.

Anyway, since I haven't been running this week and I haven't had to watch what I eat, I wondered what would happen with my food intake. After all, I was anxious. Maybe a little mad. Maybe a little depressed. The emotions that were most likely to trigger an "episode". Would I reach for that donut in the lunch room? Would I stop at Legends on the way home? Would I polish off the rest of the Grasshopper cookies?

Well, I am happy to report that I didn't do any of that. Not once. And it hasn't even crossed my mind! That's probably the part I am most happiest about. It means I've finally learned not to use food to solve my problems! (seeing as how it never did and only made them worse). I think I may even be a little leaner this week. Today I was able to pull my skirt on without unzipping it or undoing the button (good thing it has a belt...oh darn, more shopping ;) )

So no running but happy with how I dealt with it. And of course, I've had lots of extra bike time. I should hit 200 miles this week thanks to a 3 1/2 hour ride on Sunday. That will be the highest bike week for me ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment