Monday, June 13, 2011

The Best Laid Plans

I finally ran on Saturday. I ran 3 miles. Not much but it felt so good to be running again. I was relieved. Not just because I have a race in 12 days but also because I really missed it. As much as I love cycling and it feels like second nature to me, I love running more. Maybe because it’s something I really have to work at. Maybe because I feel like I’m running toward a goal where when I am cycling it’s more like play time. Whatever it is, I’m just glad it’s back!

I also ran 6 miles on Sunday. Both runs went pretty well, if a little boring. I chose a quarter mile section of the bike trail near my apartment and just ran back and forth on it. That way if I felt like my calf was having issues, I would be close to home and not have to walk a ways. I felt a little like a hamster but still that was a whole lot more fun than running on a dreadmill would be! I’ll take it. :)

I spent a lot of time on the bike this weekend and only a little time running but I did a lot of thinking and planning ahead on both. I had only planned the 1st half of the year as far as races go. I was hoping to hit 4 hours for the Seattle Rock & Roll (or close to it) but how I did there would determine the rest of the year. If I hit 4 hours, then the rest of the year would be spent on trails and running up mountains in preparation for a 50K by the end of the year. I would have been happy coming close to 4. But if I didn't come close, then I would run another marathon in November and go for 4 then and push back the 50K to January or February 2012.

The first scenario would have been ideal. It would have fit into my goals for the year quite nicely. However, things don’t always work out the way we want them to. So…

Change in plans!

I’m going to switch to the half marathon for the Seattle Rock & Roll. The info packet I just received said it’s not a problem. I talked it over with my coach, Jason, and we both agreed that I could run the marathon but would have to run it easy and we still don’t know if my calf will like the 26.2 miles. It’s untested. I know I can do the half marathon easily. Ha! Do you know what a kick it is to say that? That you know you could pop out a half marathon at any time? What a trip!

Sorry, back to the business.

Anyway, I also decided to run this one for fun and not worry about time either. I already hit my half marathon goal for the year so I am okay with just relaxing, seeing the sights, and enjoying the music. Plus, I’ll be able to enjoy Seattle that much more without the sore legs!

Am I disappointed? Hell yeah! I really, really think I was on track to get another PR. But the reason I run in the first place is because it brings me joy and makes me feel alive. I would rather take it easy in Seattle and keep running than risk more time off. You don’t even want to know how cranky I was last week! Trust me. ;)

I’m also a little disappointed because I was hoping to sign up for the Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon in November. It’s supposed to be one tough monkey of a race. Registration is August 1st and I already had it on my calendar. I guess I will have to try for it next year.

Right now I’m looking for a marathon at the end of August or beginning of September. Because, honestly, I’m still hoping to do a 50K before the end of the year. I’m not sure if that would be enough time but I would like to try. I still need another state to mark off for the year. I am hoping to run in one of these states in the fall: Texas, New Mexico, Utah, or maybe somewhere further north like Wyoming, Montana or Idaho. It doesn't have to be flat or big. I don’t care if there are spectators, just great views, coolish, and fastish. I will do the rest. :)

So that’s my plan now. Of course, I’ll probably be second guessing myself all the way up to the line next Saturday. Could I have run the full? Did I make the right decision? Did I let fear get in the way or am I being smart? It’s hard to let a goal go. Sometimes you have to.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment